Monday, January 05, 2009

What's another word for Reflection?

Here's a nifty little New Year's survey that I nicked from a girl's blog who nicked it from a different girl's blog....

One way to look back on 2008... You should steal it too!!! Lots of fun! And if you DO, please comment me with a link to your post! Would love to read it. :)

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Cried watching a movie
Got invited to a hen party
Bumped into Enda Kenny outside specsavers - walked into the middle of the group of gathered press and asked him a question he couldn't answer(!!)
Watched someone die.
Legal Smoke
Got a loan
Had a hugely successful, perfect birthday party that didn't end up a horrific mess/disappointment
Asked Martin O Neill (Aston V manager) AND the President of Ireland a question for an RTE Radio 1 show
Slept in a hospital.
Had my own (simple, shitty, but nonetheless awesome) Radio Show with my friends
Made an eejit of myself in front of Des Bishop
Started wearing heels outside of "special occasions"
Got some sort of idea of what part of Journalism I'm actually interested in and can see myself doing
Worked security at a music festival - and confiscated drugs!
Had my first real Irish-language 9-5 job
X
Got a taste for whiskey
Worked in a bar
Left the house without makeup (ok I've done it before, but not since I was a kid)
Started to take blogging seriously(ish)
Had a panic attack (several, actually! Spaced-out enough that I'm not worried..)
Entered a singer-songwriter competition and WON!! (funny story...)
Tried to make amends with certain people
Let go of stuff I'd been holding for YEARS - guilt and shame and all that jazz... poof! Had a little epiphany and feel lighter than air since. (see Q7!)

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't give up smoking. I'll try again - and for the meantime I'll try switch to rollies to save money. I didn't read Ulysses. I'll try that again too. Maybe read portrait one more time to get back into the groove/mindset..
I'm gonna try drink less alcohol and more water, hang out in CnaG less (for my sanity), dress up more often, stop being late for everything, and make more time for myself.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, actually.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My aunt. It was terrible. It still is.

5. What countries did you visit?
The US! This time the Devil went down to...Virginia! It was FABULOUS! Mental house party. Taught the 'mericans how it's done. Did a photo-shoot! (still waitin on the pics! told I came out lookin' very "Pin-up" - aaaaagh how cool?!)
Also had some..interesting debates and got some...interesting insights into some people so alien to me, but so fascinating.
Had a little epiphany of sorts there, too.. And all my vague shimmery beliefs finally solidified - I know what I've always known, but know it properly now. (ramble! sorry! explain later perhaps..)

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More time for travelling and reading. Less to do. More surprises! More of EVERYTHING. I don't think '08 lacked much - I just think I need '09 to be different in a lot of ways; for variety's sake!
I wanna be more spontaneous! I used to be the most spontaneous person I knew - now cos I'm so busy I can only be spontaneous the rare time that I have TIME to be - which isn't very freaking spontaneous!
So, more time for myself and for random acts of madness.
Also, must kiss more boys! Been "living like a nun" and - though I'm not going to stop being choosy and CERTAINLY won't be kissing just for the SAKE of it - it couldn't hurt to loosen up a bit. I can count the boys I've kissed this year on one hand - pathetic!!

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
April 1st - April Fool's Day!
The 5th of November - the day before my birthday! Had that Mini-epiphany I mentioned in Q1 that day.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting through it without running out of energy! ha!
Nah.. Winning the Singer Songwriter competition maybe? That was pretty brilliant! Or having my little radio show.. or being a part of the newly-launched, first-of-its-kind and very successful Irish-language Accom. scheme of DIT. *grin*
I dunno. Lots!! It was a whirlwind of a year.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not trusting my instincts when I ought to have. And not making enough time for my friends. or myself. And missing most of this past semester of college.
But, fuck it. Nothing that can't be remedied! No real regrets. Never regret!

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The flu a few times, a bunch of migraines, laryngitis, hangovers... otherwise I'm good!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Dresses!! I rarely buy dresses. And my tickets to go to Virginia and see Cass!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
-My best friend who's livin' in Virginia, 'cos she's carved out an awesome little life for herself and 'cos she's a gorgeous creature with a gargantuan heart.
-My roommate, 'cos she's one of THE most outstanding, drop-dead fabulous, uninhibited, hilarious people I know. Also for her unwavering faith in true love that keeps me believin' when I need to... also, the ONLY one I could EVER share a room with without murdering.
-My cousin for getting engaged to the world's nicest guy.
-My entire family and extended family - for their strength in what was a bitch of a year.
-My dad - in general.
-A certain lecturer who made me realise it's ok to slow down and stop insisting on being "on top of everything" - for once.
-A certain friend who was the bigger person and made the first move to mend things. He did something I doubt I would have been brave enough to do.
-Same friend deserves a second mention - for making me laugh harder than I have in ages and being there when I didn't want to go home yet. (What was at home anyway? Another sleepless night?)

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Someone who disappointed me.. but it's my fault. I thought they were something they weren't.
I don't think it's fair to say anything much here... Actually, read My Letter for more details... Though that covers more than just this year!
Was a bit appalled with myself at times - need to be less hard on everyone: Especially ME!!
**Here's a first for me.. a bible reference!!! (wha-???)
Luke 6:41-42 Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, 'Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye.
**I do that! Logs and Specks and suchalike.. I'm very quick to jump on people - but I think (most of the time) I see in them a little bit of something that I HATE about myself.. and hate them for it!!

14. Where did most of your money go?
Cigarettes, Drink and Taxis. And Bagels. Those damn addictive stupid feckin' bagels. And Pizza! Why move when the food can come to you?

15. What did you really, really, really get excited about?
-Seeing Cassie.
-Seeing Combichrist and getting a picture with their (highly amused) lead singer. (Sir, could I get a photo with you? - he shat himself laughing at my un-coolness..)
Check the cheesy grin:

Here he is NORMALLY:

See? I can make the scariest of men grin like fools! :P
-My 21st!
-Our little radio show - I got butterflies every week!
-That odd little Sunday morning a few weeks ago.
-New Year's Night (for some reason - what a letdown..)
-Patching up an old friendship and making something new and brilliant out of what I thought was, and always would be, solid-gold shit!
-New stuff. New stuff that dawned on me and that opened my eyes.

17. Compared to this time last year are you:
Happier? Yes! Every day I feel happier than yesterday. It's nuts. But, good nuts... Brazil nuts! Y'know they lift your mood? Or so I've read..
Thinner? Nah! Same! I assume! I weigh myself about once in a blue mood... (that was meant to be moon - typo? or Freudian slip?? You decide..)
Richer? HA!! No. More in debt than ever and generally fucked money-wise.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Dancing. Kissing. Hugging. Singing. Writing. Reading. Relaxing.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Nothing! It was all worthwhile in one way or another.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
It was a blur of nights out, over-eating, over-sleeping, and ODing on movie-nights in with the family..
The night before Christmas Eve I went on a MAD night out in Limerick.
Christmas Eve night I went to dinner with my family and wrapped presents.
Christmas Day was spent at home. Eating. Mass. Tv. Movies. Carey Grant box set opened and made good use of.
Steven's Night - mad night out. Confessed to an old friend that I've liked him for all the years I've known him. Stupid Drunk Aoife! He has a girlfriend!
((Drunk Aoife: "But he's ALWAYS had a feckin girlfriend! It's not fair!"
Me: Shut up for fuck sake..))

21. How did you spend new years?
Another mad night out. Less drama. Sadly, also had less fun. Too much absynthe, wasted money and walking around in the cold, too little sense, dancing, and energy. (had a stupid flu also - did NOT help mood)

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yep. And out again.

23. How many one-night stands?
None! Christ! Some question!

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Lincs - 'cos it's my "ok go to bed now" signal, and actually quite funny in parts..
Coupling - 'cos they're all just awful people.
Sex and the City - 'cos it's the law.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. i try not to hate anyone. Anyone I dislike probably isn't worth the effort of hating - you need a degree of respect for a person in order to be able to hate them with any real zeal, in my opinion.


26. What was the best book you read?
The Five People You Meet in Heaven - it's lovely.
Also, am reading the Secret at the moment. Fascinating; Even just the psychology that's behind it.

27. What was your biggest musical discovery?
Interference! And Imogen Heap (yes yes I'm a little behind - I know!)

28. What did you want and you got?
Almost everything, actually! :D

29. What did you want and not get?
Only a couple of things... a winning lotto ticket, a kiss goodbye from that silly, shy, big-eyed boy.. (but that would have probably been a bad idea anyway), a reply from certain old friends I'd love to get back in touch with...

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Wall-E - the sort of shit that makes me wish I HAD pursued animation seriously...

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old did you turn?
I turned 21 and it was wonderful.. I had a few mad nights in Dublin to celebrate on and around the actual DAY of my birthday, then I made a few changes in my life and felt GREAT about myself by the time I got to my real, official party at home in Limerick a few weeks later - with family and friends and finger-food and sing-songs and mulled wine and music and reminiscing and laughter and dancing in the kitchen and a big smile on everyone's face.
AND... a killer outfit ;)

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More time! Longer days!

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
For the first 80% of the year 'twas largely lazy and casual and thrown-together outfits with runners and odd-socks. Now - making more of an effort to make an effort! I have nice stuff, I should wear it!

34. What kept you sane?
Cigarettes, friends, and talking to myself!

35. Which celebrity did you fancy the most?
Steve from Sex and the City - not the actor, the character.
Carey Grant..
Still adore Jeff Goldblum. And Billy Corgan's voice (with a different face)
Hold on.... Am I really that sad...?
Oh!! Also LOVE whoever played Skye in Mama Mia. GrrrOWaar!

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Lisbon Vote. And everything becoming so warped..
Budget. Need say no more.

37. Who did you miss?
Cassie. My parents, sis and brother when I'm off in Dublin all the time..
Certain old friends who wouldn't reply.

38. Who was the best person you met?
I didn't meet anyone strikingly awesome who was new to my life... but I did discover new sides to people I already knew and found out they were more incredibly cool than I realised.
I rediscovered a few people too.. which was very nice.. It's always nice.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
That I'm my own worst critic and need to give myself a break. A lot of breaks.
That I'm a bit of a commitmentphobe, people-pleaser, and control-freak - and that it's ok to be!
That people can, and will, surprise you.
That NO amount of blood, sweat and tears can make a relationship work if it doesn't work - and that that's no one's fault.

40. Quote or Song Lyric that sums up your year:
I dunno, to be honest..
This might give you some idea.. I should pick one of those songs.. or a line from Desiderata.. can't think of anything at the moment that sums everything up - far too much happened!!
"I did it my way!" maybe? ha..

4 comments:

  1. I've tried to wear more heels this year, but I always get lazy and just change into flats-- maybe that should be one of my goals for 2009.

    p.s. my birthday is nov 4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:47 am

    This was a really good read : ) might do it myself someday if i'm not too lazy.

    oh one thing, Billy Corgan is most sexy irl I will have you know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:43 am

    I actually think your super cool, I had a panic attack this year for the first time, bad buzz, also that other anon isn't me, but this has happened several times now, it sucks eggs, and is confusing, I start with a capital though, I could turn it off, but where's the fun in that

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. good point! a bit of mystery is cool. :)

    ReplyDelete