Thursday, May 28, 2009

Today, I stood up to a wasp! ^_^

I’m sorry, but I’m very, very excited about this and HAD to post.

I’m not afraid of much – I’ve always wanted a pet snake or tarantula. I think mice are adorable. As for insects… Flies are a nuisance, ants are to be avoided, but aren’t scary. And bees? I actually quite like bees.
Wasps, however, petrify me.

They always have. Don’t ask me why. I haven’t the faintest idea. It’s completely irrational. It’s nothing to panic over. And it doesn’t make sense that bees don’t scare me. I’ll hear the buzz and begin to panic and see it’s a bee and go “whew” and relax.

I’ve been stung before – and it’s not so bad. A little pinch, and itchiness. Not so scary. I get migraines every week! A wasp sting is NOTHING. It’s not that painful. And I know this. I know it well. But knowing that doesn’t help.

It’s the way they flit around and are everywhere at once and are so fast and small; before you know it they’re behind you, or beside your head, or in your hair, and they chase you when you run and they buzzzzzzzz so viciously and the noise is all around you! And, I dunno, I’ve pretty bad depth perception too so when a wasp is there zig-zagging towards me I can’t tell how close it is and – argh.

Horrible.

One time there was one in my room, and I hadn’t noticed, and I was standing in front of my wardrobe, and I heard the buzz – directly above my head – and, without thinking, I dropped to the floor and scrambled out of the room… army-style. You’d swear a grenade had gone off.

Another time I was staying with a friend, and we got home from a party around 5, and at 6 or 7ish the sun came up, and the wasp that’d been in the room (asleep on the skylight) woke and started circling and screeching and I was awake and out of the room before I even remembered where I was. Not wanting to wake anyone, and having taken my duvet with me, I sat on a chair outside the room, hoping the little shit would roam into the hall and I’d be able to dive in and barricade the door behind me.

My friend found me later that morning, sound asleep on the chair, duvet ‘round me, still clutching my rolled-up magazine - waiting. He walked into the room and casually shooed the monster out the window. Mortified, I went back to bed.



*****



Some psycho woman went for me in the bar last night.

I quietly, smiley-ly, politely asked her to stop spraying deodorant on her feet in the middle of the bar, as another customer had said they were allergic to those sprays. I suggested she maybe go up to the bathroom or something.

“Are you threatening me? Fuck off!”
No, of course not, there’s no need to raise your voice…
“Where are you from? Listen you dirty cunt, I’m a Dub, right? I’ll kick the fuckin’ gee out of ye!”

Charming, eh? I’m still not sure what I said to set her off.

Unsettling? Yeah! Unexpected? Definately. But scary? Not really. I didn’t know what to do, and when she swung at me and kicked me, I blocked, but mainly just stood there like an eejit, knowing the lads would be back any minute to gimme a hand, quietly asking her to calm down – I knew I’d be in serious trouble if I so much as laid a hand on her, and didn’t raise my voice once. By the end I’ll admit I got a little thick with her, maybe – but you should’ve heard her!

Anyway, the other barmaid finally came downstairs and helped me get rid of her. She’ll be barred for good. Turns out she was barred years ago for similar erratic/violent behaviour. Our club’s like a magnet for oddballs… What happens to people to make them that way?

That should have been scary, right? Apart from the (godsent) customer who stepped between us, I was on my own with the batty bitch.
But it was grand, like. I kept my cool.
And yet I’m petrified by a little wasp?



*****



Today, I heard that familiar, harsher-than-yer-average buzz… and froze.
But, this time, I didn’t sprint out of the room and slam the door in panic. OR hide in the bathroom.

I kept calm(ish)… I crept over to the window that it was bopping its stupid little head against. I slowly reached up – my hands inches from the tiny, angry beast – and pushed it open. And… miraculously… out it flew!

Just like that.

I am so proud of myself.



6 comments:

  1. LOL! I love the story about the crazy lady in the club! What a whacko!!

    Congrats on standing up to the wasp! They don't bother me, but I'm terrified of cockroaches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus. You're hilarious.

    The next time a wasp comes to attack you, assume an offensive stance, spray deoderant at the wasp and scream, "I'm a Dub! Don't come back and try to sting me in the bum or I'll kick the fuckin' gee out of ye!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, I cant believe you didnt do your kung fu move from Galway-

    "YOU GO-ILL TAKE CARE OF THIS"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, one of my only fears... wasps. Well, hornets, but it's all the same really -- but again, I love bees. They're awesome. And furry and huggable.

    But hornets...

    I was stung once, while I was gaming. I was focusing quite intently; I knew there was a hornet in the room -- it's deep, malevolent rumble-buzz -- but at the time, I wasn't afraid. I just wished it'd go away.

    Then it was on my shoulder, I swatted it. Looked over a few seconds later, it had gone.

    And then, a minute later... OW. The hornet was actually under my arm, biting my frickin' armpit.

    That really hurt. But of course, I kept on gaming... I'm hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @apron LMAO. that's a definate plan! I'll be trying that!

    @seb Way more harcore than I'll ever hope to bee! (...oh no...)

    @Electric lol - That would've been awesome! I must be losing my touch or something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. God, I had forgotten about the Supermacs incident. You're so hardcore

    ReplyDelete